(BBC) The British-Egyptian activist at the centre of a political row appears to have endorsed new and baseless claims that he is the victim of a “smear campaign.”
Alaa Abd El Fattah flew to the UK on Friday to be reunited with his family for the first time in 12 years following his release from an Egyptian jail where human rights groups said he had been unfairly detained.
The prime minister welcomed his return in a post on X but subsequently faced criticism after old social media posts emerged in which Mr Abd El Fattah called for the killing of Zionists and police officers.
Sir Keir Starmer has since said he was unaware of the “absolutely abhorrent” resurfaced posts, which Mr Abd El Fattah has apologised for, and said the government was “taking steps to review the information failures in this case.”
